Saturday, January 21, 2017

An Adventure off the Porch...

I am packing up my one room new camper to head into the wilds of the populated world. Living on a remote northern peninsula sure insulates one  from traffic, too many people and all that jazz. Really it is easy to become way too comfortable up here despite the snow and ice and the cold. I 'll go ahead and say it, "In God's country." I always wear wool slippers, heavy sweaters and flannel pajamas. It is a good look for me. I'm off to spend time with my daughters and their families. That is what is missing here in the north. I love spending time with our grand kids. They fascinate me. 

I just finished This is Where I Leave You by Jonathon Tropper. Good read. Much darker than the movie. I did not appreciate Judd's observations on the aging human body, ugh! Young=smooth skin, aging=sagging skin. 

I read Love May Fail by Matthew Quick. A few of his coincidences were a little too coincidental for me but I have yet to be disappointed in any thing I have read of Quick's. I become emotionally invested in every character. Chuck and Tommy Bass. Portia, Mr. Vernon...please be okay. This book made me check out Motley Crue on YouTube. How's that for broadening my horizons?

I went to the theatre and saw Hidden Figures. Five Stars. Take your daughters! Infinitely Polar Bear based on the life of Cameron Forbes. Bi polar dad of two girls. Mental illness bites. Anywhere but Here with Natalie Portman and Susan Sarandon. Family dysfunction at it's best. Still bites to be the child. Ride with Helen Hunt. How do you go on after losing a son without totally traumatizing your surviving son. This Mom does not. I finished watching Sherlock season 4 on BBC. Too Dr. Whoish or maybe Bond. Not even comparable to the stellar previous three seasons. I am letting myself forget that season four ever happened.

I started listening to Brooklyn by Colm Toibin. I am reading Let's Take the Long Way Home by Gail Caldwell. 
           Here we are again. The family from The Christmas Story. Yes, we did eat our dinner at a Chinese restauraunt! I love these people!



1 comment:

  1. Hannah and I just saw "Hidden Figures" too! Awesome movie! Makes me remember stuff from that time period. I also just watch "Selma" on Netflix. What a sad commentary on our American history.Both of these movies were opportunities for discussion with Hannah about American history. She is surprised at how much of it I remember.

    ReplyDelete