Tuesday, November 27, 2012


First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday

The Orphan Sister by Gwendolyn Gross

When my sister Odette called to tell me Dad hadn't shown up for rounds, my first guilty thought was that he'd had a heart attack on the Garden State Parkway, that his Benz had swerved, swiveled, and scraped against hte railing near exit 142 until it flipped into the opposite lane like a beetle on it's back, ready for the picking of crows. He'd fumbled for the aspirin he always kept in the cup holder, in a wood and silver pillbox he couln't unclasp when it mattered at last. Blood would mat the silvery-red mix of his still-thick hair, his eyes would be open, he'd be dead, and I'd never have a chance to prove him wrong.

Would you read this book?

6 comments:

  1. Wow - that sure got my attention! Think I'd like to know more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this opener. I'm one of those people who always jump to conclusions about the worst possible scenario. Here’s mine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this intro a lot- hope the rest is as good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would keep on reading to find out why she felt that way about her father.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good read! I'm especially interested to know what is meant by 'prove him wrong'.

    ReplyDelete