Sunday, January 17, 2016

Making a list on the porch...

                                          Look closely and you will see angels in the snow!

Today was a football on TV Sunday. I don't really watch it but it is a perfect excuse to veg on the couch and pour over lists of books on my computer. 100 Best Books of the Decade So Far, 100 Books to Read before you Die, 20 Books to Read in 2016. I could go on and on. There are so many lists. After much hard work on the couch with blankets and pillows and blueberry cheese cake bars and one cup of coffee, I have chose the books I want to read in 2016 or at least before I die.

White Teeth by Zadie Smith, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, The Corrections by Jonathon Franzen, The Known World by Jones, Gilead by Robinson, My Brilliant Friend, The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck, Beloved by Toni Morrison, The Outsiders, The Things They Carried, The Secret History by Donna Tartt, The Epicures Lament by Kate Christensen and The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

These books turned up on many lists and recommendations. I just finished reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. This book deserved every award it was given. It is so affecting emotionally. I am now listening to Drown by the same author. Fresh, lewd, direct, sly, sweet and honest, the words used to describe Diaz's voice by a reviewer are just right.
I am also reading Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee. I'll let you know how that works out...




1 comment: